Sunday, February 10, 2013

"LOOK AT WHAT I HAVE CREATED!!!" aka painting fire

Been having some great fun on this piece recently.  Of course it starts off just staring at the rather blank space where the fire would be(see previous post).  It's sort of like looking at a subtley textured ceiling and waiting for an image to show itself.  I tend to slowly reinforce what is emerging and constantly step back to make sure it's flowing the way I want it to.  It's fun because even though I have a vague idea of what I thought I wanted something unexpected always comes through.  It's like solving a puzzle that can have a million proper answers. 

Unfortunately, this type of refinement tends to happen towards the end of a painting and before you know it's done and gone.  It makes all the grinding and slow build up worth it.  It's also the reason I'm always trying to work on painting faster or trying to loosen up a bit so that the build up stage can fly by and I can spend more time refining.  Working smaller helps too.  The burning tree still needs some work.  Will post more as I progress.


2 comments:

Wes Talbott said...

Looking great man!

EricFortune said...

Thanks Wes, I'll try to bring it in again before shipping it out.